Last month we were very privileged to be able to welcome Rt Rev’d Bishop Derek Kamukwamba and his wife Evelyn to Kent. Bishop Derek is bishop of the Anglican Diocese of Central Zambia with whom Hands of Compassion works in partnership, and is part of the Zambian Anglican Council’s outreach programme. His wife Evelyn is the Teacher-in-Charge at our school in Chipulukusu. It was a great opportunity to meet with this lovely couple and to be able to share some quality time with them as the school progresses.
In their time in Kent, Bishop Derek had plenty of opportunities to meet with the UK Board of Trustees, Rt Rev’d Dr Brian Castle (Bishop of Tonbridge) and many local supporters who give so faithfully to make the work God has inspired continue. Visits included:
- Brenchley & Matfield Primary School – Assembly followed by a tour and discussions with students in Years 4, 5 & 6.
- A preaching opportunity at St. Mary’s, Lamberhurst.
- A viewing of the Chagall windows at All Saints’, Tudeley.
- A buffet lunch with 29 local supporters from across Kent including representatives from churches in Shorne, Knockholt, Boughton Monchelsea, Lamberhurst and Matfield.
- Supper with Bishop Brian and the UK Board of Trustees.
- The local coast (something of a novelty to Zambians).
We were so blessed by the fantastic conversations that arose from their many hours of fellowship.